An existing Primary School was enlarged by adding 4 classrooms in a two storey wing, extending 3 existing classrooms and combining 2 classrooms into a multi-use studio.
The classroom extensions were achieved by 3 ‘pods’, which use the existing materials and style of the 1902 school. Two of the pods project over the playground below to minimize the impact on the limited playground area.
The two storey extension reflects the traditional style and material palette, but in a modern form and with feature decorative brick panels.
The old and new structures are linked with a metal clad stair core, defining the distinction between old and new.